By Doyle Paul Johnson
"My graduate scholars inspiration it used to be very-well written, transparent and arranged. numerous left type announcing they've got a far better realizing of thought a result of textual content. So, endured kudos and thank you for the good ebook for my MA point thought course." Mike McMullen, college of Houston-Clear Lake
Contemporary Sociological concept: An built-in, Multi-level Approach
by D. Paul Johnson, Texas Tech collage, Lubbock, TX
This ebook covers the main theoretical orientations which have been influential in American sociology because the mid-twentieth century. those comprise symbolic interplay, phenomenological sociology and ethnomethodology, social alternate and rational selection theories, sociology of feelings, functionalism and neofunctionalism, clash and important concept, chosen feminist theories, structuration thought, structures conception, sociobiology, chosen sociology of tradition views, and significant subject matters from postmodern orientations.
The differences among micro, meso, and macro degrees function the organizing framework, with the micro/macro contrast on the topic of the distinction among organization and constitution. many of the theories and theorists are in comparison, contrasted, and built-in as applicable in portraying the complicated and multidimensional good points of the social global. lifestyle examples let scholars to use those summary rules to non-public reviews and present social matters.
Distinctive positive aspects include:
- Summaries of significant principles of the classical degree theorists which function a beginning for modern theories, together with formerly ignored contributions of girls theorists;
- A bankruptcy on formal conception development, with dialogue of its relevance to either quantitative and qualitative information research and to the prestige of sociology as a multiple-paradigm discipline;
- Coverage of groups, complicated enterprises, markets, and socioeconomic periods as certain meso-level social formations;
- Integration of rational selection conception and sociology of feelings, with program to groups and complicated organizations;
- Focus on contrasting views inside every one significant theoretical orientation, plus conceptual and analytical linkages between those assorted orientations;
- Cultural structures and sociobiological features lined in separate chapters certain from the micro/meso/macro degrees of the social world;
- Explicit cognizance given to person identities, own relationships, social networks, teams, residential and other forms of groups, inner and exterior organizational kin, impersonal marketplace transactions, socioeconomic type differences, institutional constructions, and diplomacy.
Read Online or Download Contemporary Sociological Theory: An Integrated Multi-Level Approach PDF
Similar other social sciences books
This is often the 1st book-length remedy in English of 3 Kingdoms (Sanguo yanyi), usually considered as China’s first nice classical novel. Set within the historic interval of the disunion (220–280 AD), 3 Kingdoms fuses heritage and renowned culture to create a sweeping epic of heroism and political ambition.
Tendencies In technology sequence, quantity three.
This booklet explores a global the place the bounds among truth and illustration became blurred, a global the place l. a. legislation is used to coach legal professionals. Drawing on examples from around the world, Nick Perry provides a desirable and interesting research of either universal gadgets and occasions in addition to the more odd and absurd.
- Advancing Quality of Life in a Turbulent World (Social Indicators Research Series)
- The Ethnomethodologists (Key Sociologists)
- On Husserl (Wadsworth Philosophers Series)
- Two kinds of power : an essay on bibliographical control.
- Studies on Plato, Aristotle and Proclus: The Collected Essays on Ancient Philosophy of John J. Cleary
- Le philosophe TCHOU HI,sa doctrine,son influence
Extra info for Contemporary Sociological Theory: An Integrated Multi-Level Approach
5 His style of analysis is closer to modern sociology than Comte’s wide-ranging speculations. For example, he pioneered in the use of statistical methods to show that variations in suicide rates could be related to variations in the level of social integration (Durkheim  1966) Later in his career he also used qualitative ethnographic material in his analysis of how religious beliefs and rituals reinforce social bonds and moral solidarity in a pre-modern type of society (Durkheim  1965).
In trying to explain why people behave as they do, how would you contrast the positivist viewpoint regarding universal laws that govern human behavior with the historicist viewpoint regarding the need to consider specific cultural traditions? Give an example of each of these types of explanation. Questions for Study and Discussion 21 5. In considering the practical utility of sociological knowledge, what do you see as the most urgent contemporary social problems that sociologists should be investigating?
P. Johnson, Contemporary Sociological Theory: An Integrated Multi-Level Approach. © Springer Science + Business Media, LLC 2008 23 24 2 Classical Stage European Sources of Sociological Theory Social and Intellectual Background Auguste Comte has sometimes been called the “father of sociology,” but the scientific approach he advocated was foreshadowed 500 years earlier by Ibn Khaldun, a solitary intellectual of the fourteenth century Arab world (see Chambliss, 1954:285–312). Khaldun’s goal was to explain the historical process of the rise and fall of civilizations in terms of a pattern of recurring conflicts between tough nomadic desert tribes and sedentary-type societies with their love of luxuries and pleasure.